Thursday 28 July 2016

How to become Turkish overnight

I remember that, at the beginning of this year, I told myself that I wanted to finally meet my grandpa, because it might be too late if I wait longer.

A lot of things happened and I kind of forgot about this plan.
But I think while studying Turkish with my friend from Istanbul, I remembered about it. And he encouraged me to find my grandfather.

I asked my mum if she had his number or address, she had nothing like that, she didn't even have her half-siblings' contact details. I even asked my dad and he didn't have anything.

So the last thing I thought I could do was to publish a post on the "Spotted" Facebook page of the shopping centre of the town my grandfather used to live in. I knew he wasn't there anymore, though. The page only had 500 likes, I just asked people if they knew him or his children and I didn't expect anything to happen. I almost decided to forget about it.

Then, the admin of the page messaged me, someone knew my grandfather and wanted to help me. He told me her name and I messaged her.
So apparantly, the friend of sister-in-law of my grandfather's ex daughter-in-law had liked my post, so it kind of came through to her (my grandfather's ex daughter-in-law) and she told me that my grandfather was ill and lived in Istanbul, but came to Germany every now and then to get treatment.

She gave me my aunts' number.

My aunt, who had banned her father out of her life, just like my mum did. My aunt who had married a Turkish man and was going to go to Istanbul with the whole family. She sent me photos, told me about herself and said that I was always welcome at hers and in Istanbul.

I feel so loved. And one more thing:

All these years, I knew that I was partially Turkish and I used to tell that to people. They didn't quite accept it and I always looked at my Turkish friends and their families, knowing I had something like that, but I had nothing to do with it and therefore couldn't even call myself Turkish. At all.
I remember this fight with my ex when he stated that if you don't have a citizenship from a certain country, you're not of the nationality of this country. And I felt offended because I always wanted to be with my Turkish family, I wanted to learn about the culture which was there, somewhere in my roots.

This is my family. And this has just become a big part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment