Monday 25 July 2016

Merryweather

Insects are super scary! And that's exactly what I thought when this beast suddenly appeared in my room. I saw it sitting there, and before it could jump at me and eat my face, I quickly placed a glass on it and closed it. There it was, this grasshopper-thing. I googled a bit and found out that it was a female Tettigonia viridissima, a great green bush cricket. But on the website, it said that the females, who are bigger than the males, grow up to 42mm. After I had measured, I knew that my new friend, and I named her Merryweather, was quite a lot bigger with 60mm. So maybe she's some kind of mutant.
So about an hour ago, I released her into our garden. She stayed for a moment, probably so I could take a last photo, then she jumped off and disappeared into the green.
What a majestic creature!



No comments:

Post a Comment